Graduate School of Design Offers Three New Courses for Next Year

The Design School will offer three new courses in urban design, Dean Sort announced yesterday.

Open only to advanced students, they will touch on work of architects, landscape architects, and city planners.

The first course will deal with the history or urban design. It is a based on the culture of cities and the development of urban design as an expression of social and aesthetic conditions. Visiting Professor Sigfried Giedion, author of "Space, Time and Architect," will lecture.

Sert Will Teach

Dean Sert, with assistant professors Jean Paul Carlhian and Hideo Sasaki, plus unannounced visiting lecturers, will give an expanded version of the "Design of Cities" course--taught here since 1949.

This second course take up elements of civic design as expressed in building groups, open areas, and roads. It will cover a city's influence on the design of residential areas, parks, and social services. Much of its material will be drawn from Harvard's collection of scale models.

Four professors, plus visiting experts, will give the school's third now course, Advanced Architectural Design, which is built around special projects in urban design. Dean Sert expects to work in conjunction with Assistant Professors Carlhian, Sasaki, and Ronald Gourley.

In announcing the courses, Dean Sert explained that urban design is becoming an increasingly important problem for technicians and the public.

"Urban design is the meeting ground of architects, landscape architects, and city planners; and work in this field may be the greatest challenge to the three professions," he stated.