Too Little Too Late

If there is genuine safety in numbers, then the recent elections in the senior class were fifty per cent misguided. The Class Committee voting was protected enough: over eighty men ran for twelve positions. But several weeks later, there was a much different proportion when less then twenty candidates announced that they wanted places on the ten-man Class Day Committee.

The disparity is easy enough to understand. The Class Committee has a good deal of honor connected with it; the Day Committee has just as much hard work. This year the needlessness of two elections was especially pointed up because the Day Committee was elected so late that all plans had to be telescoped into a few weeks. The success of Class Day depends on organization and publicity. Elected shortly before the reading period begins, the Committee has little time to arrange for either. The Class Committee, with far less immediate obligations, is elected weeks earlier.

With such a large field in the Class Committee election, the Student Council could easily merge the two contests into one. The first twelve men would be members of the Class Committee, the next ten would be on the Day Committee. The plan would have the added benefit that anyone who competed for one of the twenty-two positions would be prepared to actually serve his class. Election to the Day Committee would also take on a lustre of achievement where there now is none.

Change, especially in such venerable machinery as class elections, always comes unwillingly. In this instance, however, a simple combination of these two overlapping events would benefit both the committees and the Class they are to serve.