Dow Ties Record In 110-30 Victory

Senior Peter Dow tied a 21-year-old College record Saturday as he led the steadily-improving varsity track team to an overwhelming 110 to 30 victory over Brown in Providence.

Dow's 9.8 time for the 100-yard dash equalled the mark set in 1933 by E. E. Calvin. Dow also ran a 21.3 in winning the 220-yard dash, tying the record set by D.D. Pirnie in 1941. The 220 time will not be listed as a record, however, because of a strong tail wind.

Coach Bill McCurdy's team, readying itself for the Yale meet next Saturday, captured 13 of the 16 first places. In addition to Dow, the only other double victor was Art Siler, who took firsts in the shot put and discus.

Running a stronger race every week, Renny Little moved to an easy victory over teammate Al Wills in the 440.

Wills Takes Half-Mile

Wills came right back to capture the half mile in 1:59.3. Phil Meyers and Tom Gates finished right behind Wills.

The other varsity winners were Mohammed Sheriff, broad jump; Lee Hurd, 120-yard hurdles; George Valiant and Don Richards, pole vault; Hal Gerry, two-mile; Don Whitehead, high jump; and Ed Carter, 220-yard hurdles.

Crimson runners took all three places in the 120 and 220-yard hurdles, the half mile, two mile, high jump, and discus. In addition the team also won the mile relay.

With Pete Harpel breaking the record for the hammer throw, the freshman track team also crushed Brown, 108 to 32. Harpel's toss of 157' 4" broke Whitey Black's 153' 7 1/4" made in 1950.