Varsity Lacrosse Subdues Penn in Hot Home Battle

For two periods Saturday the varsity lacrosse team ran roughshed over a strong University of Pennsylvania squad, rolling to a 7 to 2 half-time lead with a brilliant display of midfield power and defensive strength.

The Crimson wilted in the second half against a rare zone defense but coasted to victory, 8 to 4.

Sophomore Dexter Lewis fired in three goals from midfield to lead the Crimson scoring as Penn defensemen successfully bettled up Phil Warning and Ed Curtis, usually high-scoring attackmen. Skip Baldwin, a center midfielder, also tossed in two scores, the second by taking a face-off and moving the ball in alone for a solo.

Monk Aiello tallied twice on high shots into the far corner of the cage, and Waring got the other Crimson score.

The Penn squad, peppered with football players, was fairly liberal with blocks and slashes. Waring lost his wind temporarily when clipped in the fourth period, and shortly after caught a stick in the jaw and left the field, dazed.

Tempers flared frequently in the second half. Penn midfielder George Trautman, first string center in the fall, blatantly slashed at Lewis from behind at one point, with no chance to hit his stick. Lewis spun around, but the referee tossed out Trautman on a regulation penalty and set play going again before any violence materialized.

At another point, over half the players on both teams took part in a melee over a loose ball in front of the bench. The scramble went on for over a minute before Crimson center Fred Horween bounced a Penn ball-carrier out of bounds to gain possession.

The varsity defensive trio of Tom Cromp, Paul Jones, and John Hartwell made a superb showing. Goalie Steve DenHarteg also had a good day, but was outshone by the Penn goalie.

Meanwhile, the Yardling lacrosse squad won at Williams, 10 to 0.