155-Pound Crew Faces Elis, Tigers; Track Team Plays Yale

Rittenburg's Return Boosts Varsity Hopes For Victory Over Favored Blue Trackmen

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

To upset Yale tomorrow, Harvard will have to score more points in the running events than Stew Thompson, Don Henderson, and Bill Donegan can roll up in the field events. With Bob Rittenburg now in top condition, the Crimson has a chance.

Of slightly lighter consequence tomorrow, the Crimson freshman team will attempt to extend its two year winning streak when it meets the Elis. Both meets begin at 1:30 on the Soldiers Field track.

Coach Bob Giegengack's men won the IC4A and Heptagonal championships indoors, and are looking ahead to the outdoor Heptagonal meet next Saturday here. The Elis have lost only one meet all year, to Navy last month. Since then, however, they have come along in their winter form.

Yale's strength lies in the field events, and, to be exact, in any event Thomson, Henderson, or Donegan compete. The first two are huge weight men, and the last, a pole vaulter. Last Saturday against Princeton, Thomson took the shot put and the discus; Henderson took the hammer; and Donegan tied for first in the pole vault. In addition Thomson finished second in the hammer; Henderson second in the shot.

Running Events May Decide

In the running events, the Elis are far from weak. They have four very strong runners, Jack Meader, Mike Stanley, Hank Thresher, and Ross Price, all of whom could win one or more races. Meader and Stanley both can run the 880 under 1:54 or the mile under 4:25:

To counter these runners, Coach Bill McCurdy will rely on Dave Alpers, Renny Little, Hal Gerry, Al Wills. Pete Dow, and the newly-recovered Rittenburg.

The freshmen, with depth in every event, seem sure winners. Captain Dick Wharton, Joel Cohen, and Phil Williams are expected to lead the Yardlings. In the Big Three Meet indoors, Cohen took the hurdles, dash, and broad jump.