Hunt Finds Textbook Investigation Is Necessary Under Circumstances

An investigation of textbooks alleged to be "alive with the glories of Russia" which had been instituted yesterday by the Boston School Board was described as necessary under the circumstances by Herold C. Hunt, Charles William Eliot Professor of Education, last night.

Members of a specially appointed committee began yesterday morning to read through all Girls Latin School textbooks containing any references to the USSR, after a student there reported to a member of the school board that a book assigned to her seemed pro-Russian.

"Since a complaint has been made," Hunt explained, "all he (Superintendent of Schools Dennis C. Haley) could do without prejudice is to order an investigation--if only to protect the school system . . . I hope this can all be done in an unemotional climate."

One of the books under consideration is a back edition of "Story of Nations," a text first issued right after World War II, when U.S.-Russian relations were at their friendliest.

Louis McCoy, principal of Girls Latin School, said last night that he had read and passed some of the books in question when he was a member of the Headmasters Committee in 1945. This is the committee which must approve textbooks to be used in the schools.

McCoy said the Committee had not found any of the books objectionable at the time, because "The Russians were our allies, remember?"