University Gains Over $3,000,000 With Recent Gifts

New fellowship funds providing for American and foreign students--especially law students--to study abroad are expected to reach nearly $350,000 as a result of recent gifts to the University. Total gifts to the University for the months of January, February, and March amount to well over $8,000,000.

Of this sum, $2,387,424.66 is allotted for capital endowment, while $1,405,977.09 is for current use.

A new fellowship fund for Law School students honors the memory of Jens Iverson Westengard, former professor of Law and American advisor to the King of Siam. Westengard received his LL.B. with honors in 1898, and was Bemis Professor of International Law from 1915 to 1918.

Another fund, for fellowships in any department of the University, has been named for his son, Jens A. Westengard '23.

Study in Europe

Income from the funds, established under the will of Rebecca A. Westengard, his widow, will provide for students of promise in the Law School and other parts of the University to travel and study in Europe, the British Isles, and South America. In addition it will allow students from those countries to study here.

Mrs. Westengard also left to the Law School the family home at 3 Garden St., Cambridge. The building will probably be used as a research center.

Other gifts include $66,800 to the Divinity School from William A. Coolidge '24, a $75,500 bequest to the Harvard-Yenching Institute, and the Archibald A. Hutchison bequest of $358,363.35 to be used by the Fogg Art Museum.

An undergraduate scholarship fund for students "who desire to study in the combined areas of cultural anthropology and psychology," has been established by the $68,778.47 gift of the estate of William Cabot Martin.