Faculty Essay Prizes Go to Nine Seniors and Graduates

Seven seniors and two graduate students have been awarded $2040 in prizes by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Secretary Sargent Kennedy announced yesterday.

The largest is the Sumner Prize, approximately $650 of income from a fund, won by Henry A. Kissinger 4G for his thesis entitled "Peace, Legitimacy, and the Equilibrium."

The award is given "for the best dissertation from the legal, political, historical, economic, social, or ethnic approach, dealing with any means or measures tending towards the prevention of war and the establishment of universal peace."

Edward C. Cumming '54 won the $400 Helen Choate Bell Prize for his essay "William Faulkner: Peasants and Snopeses." Honorable mention went to David M. Kalstone '54 for his paper "Henry James as Social Critic: The Final Vision." The Helen Choate Bell Prize is given "for merit in work in the field of American Literature."

McEwen Wins Sohier Prize

The George B. Sohier Prize of $250 "for the best thesis by a successful candidate for honors in English or Modern Literature" was given to Charles M. McEwen, Jr. '54 for his thesis "Rainer Maria Rilke's 'Fifth Duino Elegy.'" Alexander Welsh '54 won honorable mention for his work entitled "The Experience of Mortality in the Poems of A. E. Housman."

Approximately $230 as the Chase Prize was awarded to Richard W. Cotam, PhD. '54 for his thesis, "Iran: A case Study of Nationalism." The prize is given "for the best essay on a subject relating to the promotion of world peace."

Robert C. Lasch '54 won the $160 Philip Washburn Prize "for the best thesis, of sufficient merit, on an historical subject." His thesis was entitled, "Imperialism and the Independents: a Conflict of Allegiance."

Milton S. Gwirtzman '54 was awarded the James Gordon Bennett Prize of approximately $150 for his thesis, "The Decline of the Democratic Party in New York State: 1932-1952." The grant is given for the best essay in English prose on some subject of American governmental domestic or foreign policy of contemporaneous interest."

Henry Steele Commager, Jr. '54 won $100 as the Louis Curtis Prize for excellence in Latin.

The Philo Sherman Bennett Prize of approximately $50 "for the best essay discussing the principles of free government" was awarded to John R. Rodman '54 for his thesis, "Nietzsche and the Liberal-Democratic Tradition."

Edward M. Hoagland '54 won the $50 "Harvard Monthly" Prize as the student in the most advanced course in English composition who shows greatest literary promise.

The Dante Prize was not awarded this year.