Five Members of Faculty Discuss Harvard Undergraduate, 1929-1954

Five of the faculty's leading spokesmen intended to give reunioners a glimpse at the "Harvard Undergraduate--1954," but finished by describing the "Harvard Undergraduate, 1929-54," yesterday morning in the New Lecture Hall.

Wilbur J. Bender, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aids, spoke first on the College's admissions policy, which, he concluded, is more concerned with keeping a social and geographical balance than with a prospect's I.Q.. or academic standing.

The University's medical facilities from 1929 to the present were described by Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, who noted that America's health has improved "from a social point of view," not just from better medicines.

Reminiscing on Harvard's athletic prowess, Director of Athletics Thomas D. Bolles observed that in '29s heyday, gridiron enthusiasm (in paid admissions) ran about 80 per cent ahead of modern day spirit.

Raphael Demos, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, tried to remind reunioners that for all Harvard's diversity, the College's academic side has not been forgotten. "Our job," he observed, "is to teach, not to preach." And the purpose of liberal education, he continued, is to free us from the sociological prisons in which we find ourselves.

A brief picture of the Houses was provided by Elliott Perkins, Master of Lowell House, who was also an assistant dean during '29s freshman year at College. Noting that the famous Harvard taciturnity remains among today's youth, Perkins observed that, "You can lead two Harvard men together, but you still can't make them talk."