Summas to Be Considered by Board June 14

Departments Will Nominate About 40 for Summa Award

Only the Administrative Board and a vote of the Faculty stand between a group of seniors and a degree Summa cum Laude.

Almost all the individual departments have made their recommendations and it is now up to the University to decide whether the seniors receive their summas or are reduced to "magnas with highest honors."

Meeting on June 14, the Administrative Board, comprising the deans and the Senior Tutors, will go through the departmental summas, weeding out those who have not met the minimum requirements, including at least two full A's outside their fields, and no more than a half D.

On the following day, a meeting open to all permanent members of the faculty will consider each summa candidate individually. Ordinarily, only a small proportion of the faculty attends the meeting.

The CRIMSON has compiled an unofficial list of senior honors for Harvard and Radcliffe (below). For the second year in a row English led with the highest number of summa candidates.

Honors Figures

Anthropology, 1 summa, 1 magna, 4 cum; Architectural Sciences, 1, 2, 2; Astronomy, 2 magna, 2 cum; Biochemistry, 3, 4, 10; Chemistry, 5 to 10 high or highest honors, about 15 honors; Economics 1, 16, 16.

English, 6 summa, 10 magna, 15 cum; Fine Arts, 1 magna, 1 cum; German, 1, 2, 3; History, 3 summa, about 20 magna and 30 cum; History and Literature, 1, 4, 45; Mathematics, 4 highest honor, 2 high honor, 2 honor; Philosophy, 1 magna, 8 cum.

Physics, 5 to 10 highest honor, about 10 honor; Physics and Chemistry, 1 honor; Psychology, 1 summa, 1 magna, 2 cum; Romance Language, 5 cum; Social Relations, 1, 10, 12.