Stadium Replaces Wooden Uprights With Steel Posts

Harvard Stadium, which in the past has seen its wooden goalposts torn down after each football game at a weekly cost of $75, will greet plunder-bent students this fall with a pair of new steel posts designed to remain standing indefinitely.

In announcing the new plan, Carroll F. Getchell, Business Manager of the Department of Athletics, expressed the hope that the new steel posts will never come down. "We hope the boys will stop fooling around," he said.

High Costs Responsible

Getchell said that the high cost of the old posts prompted the action. Steel and concrete posts have previously been installed at Yale and Princeton with varying degrees of success. They have generally withstood post-game demonstrations, but on occasion have been known to fall, just like their wooden predecessors.

Getchell indicated that the police, who used to stand by politely after games, might be firmer in protecting the new posts. "We hope the students will co-operate," he said, "but we don't want a riot."

In the past, no matter which team won, both wooden goal posts would soon be ripped down. Post-game battles for the wooden structures had been bitterly fought and souvenir chips to be brought back to the room were highly prized.