Democratic Club Rejects HLU Bid For Combined Meeting With HYRC

The Young Democratic Club last night rejected a Liberal Union overture for a joint political-club meeting to consider both Republican and Democratic state candidates for endorsement.

Meanwhile, the Young Republican Club awaited further talks and information from the HLU before making its decision. Several Liberal Union members, however, speculated that the HYRC also would reject the proposal.

Frederick J. Willman '56, president of the HYDC, announced that since his group was already fully committed to the Democratic candidates, it could not even consider the HLU proposal. "The Young Democrats are acting on their own this year," he said. As a partisan group they would lose their state charter were they to support a candidate who was not backed by the Democratic party in Massachusetts.

"For us to attend and sponsor a meeting," he continued, "wherein Senator Saltonstall and Governor Herter would present their claims for our endorsement would be useless."

The Liberal Union's efforts for a combined meeting stemmed from disagreement at its Executive Board meeting Monday night, when there was great disagreement over HLU endorsement of Foster Furculo, Democratic candidate for Senator. The HLU proposed the combined meeting in order to hear Saltonstall and the other candidates as well as Furcolo.

Told ADA to Disband

Furcolo incurred HLU wrath when he last December told the Americans for Democratic Action, of which the Liberal Union is an affiliate, to disband because they were no longer necessary.

If the Young Republicans also reject the HLU proposal, the Liberal Union will be forced to face the Furcolo endorsemen issue very soon. According to Philippe Villers '55, president, a vote may be called on Monday.