Passing, Pass Defense Draw Emphasis at Football Drill

Passing and pass defense drew main emphasis for the second straight workout yesterday as Lloyd Jordan sent his varsity football team through another long practice in preparation for Saturday's opener against the University of Massachusetts.

Norm Shepard's JVs, now separate from the varsity, provided the opportunity for the defensive work, emulating Massachusetts T-formation plays, especially pass plays. Then, with Joe Conzelman doing the tossing, the varsity switched to offense against a defensive JV unit. Playing with him in the backfield were Bob Cowles at fullback, Frank White, wingback, and Jerry Marsh, quarterback. All four also "started" at these positions in the principle backfield Friday.

MacDonald Sidelined

It seems likely that Cowles, a wingback last season, will remain at the fullback post, at least through Saturday's opener. It was announced yesterday that one of the important candidates for the position, George MacDonald, will not be released in time by the medical staff. Another fullback prospect whom Jordan had counted upon, junior Bill Volmer, reinjured his knee in pre-season and has been forced to give up the sport for this year at least.

Also missing from Tuesday's drills were wingback Dexter Lewis, end Bob Morrison, and center Dave Bodiker. All have been sidelined with minor injuries.

With Bodiker out converted fullback Art Painter, a junior, has moved up to the number two center slot behind Jan Meyer. Flanking Meyer in the principal line unit of the day were veteran guards Tim Anderson and Bill Meigs, tackles Dick Koch and Bill Frate, and ends Bob Cochran and Joe Rose.