Cheever Says Subs Off Formosa Should Not Lead U.S. to Warfare

Reports that two or more Communist submarines are in the Formosa Strait ought not to precipitate any drastic war-like measures by the Eisenhower Administration, Daniel S. Cheever, lecturer on Government, said last night.

"No sub campaign would be effective without the Russians, and if they go that far massive retaliation is in order."

Cheever thought any use of American forces to help Chiang's forces regroup should be only "to help the Nationalists get out of an exposed position." An additional advantage of such a move would be to strengthen the United States position on Nationalist China in the United Nations.

Guaranteeing the independence of "Formosa and the Pescadores islands might get world support," he felt, "but this would be completely impossible if the other islands are included." He thought it might be useful for the UN to discuss the present Formosa crisis, even if there is the possibility of the United States "taking a propaganda licking."

Cheever did not think the present situation would break out into a more active war. It will probably "sputter and die down," with the Communists gaining prestige by acquiring a few of the islands. The Nationalists, on the other hand, will have gained a better strategic position.

"The United States is moving in Asia on a bi-partisan policy," Cheever said. "The President has to steer a middle course between the Democrats and the Republicans," and will not make any unnecessary warlike moves.