Charges Connect Paul Sweezy to Pro-Communists

Paul M. Sweezy '31, former assistant professor of Economics, was cited as a pro-Communist influence last Tuesday in a report by Attorney-General Louis C. Wyman to the New Hampshire State Legislature.

Vilhjalmur Stefansson, Arctic Consultant, and Alexander Laing Education Service Director, Library, both of Dartmouth, and Gwenne H. Daggert, Professor of Humanities at the University of New Hampshire were also charged with "records of affiliation" with Communist groups.

Sweezy, presently free on $1000 ball from contempt of court charges for refusing to answer specific questions of Wyman, admitted having been an active member of the Progressive Party in 1948 only, but denied any connection with the Communists.

"Wyman is nothing but a charlatan, whose cheap politicking has resulted in no revelations of any importance whatsoever," Sweezy said.

Wyman stated, "I don't simply mean to say tsk tsk to these men. "This business is not McCarthyism; we are completely fair. These people are not being smeared as Communists."

Sweezy's older brother, Alan R. Sweezy '29, former instructor in Economics, who, in 1935, was not reinstated for what the University termed "economic reasons." It was believed, however, that he was dismissed for his self-avowed Communist activities.

Paul M. Sweezy taught economics from 1934 to 1946 when he left to do research.