'59 Harriers Beat Andover in Meet

The freshman cross-country team took five of the first six places in an informal meet with Andover on Saturday to win by a score of 18 to 31. It was the fourth consecutive win for the Yardlings.

Even though they got lost at the two-mile marker, Jim Schlaeppi and Dick Benjamin led all the way over the losers' two and three-quarter mile course. Their times were 14:51 and 14:53 respectively. Andover's Pete Hiller stayed just behind them to finish third in 14:58.

The next three finishers were all Crimson runners. In order, they were Bill Thompson (15:10), John Demos (15:17), and Al Gordon (15:18). Hiller's performance in beating out Thompson was particularly noteworthy, since last week the Yardlings took the first eight places in defeating Boston University.

A drizzling rain throughout the race did not seriously hamper the runners because of Andover's fast, all-pavement course. Cross-country races are usually run over dirt tracks. This Friday the freshmen will travel with the varsity to New York to compete against Columbia and Pennsylvania at Van Cortlandt Park.

The freshmen will not run here again until Oct. 28 when they face Yale.