Politicians Lack Issues in City Campaign

Shaplin Apparent Shoo-In on Nov. 8

By Bruce M. Reeves

Cambridge politicians pled into their final month of campaigning this week still without a major issue and with what appears to be only one sure-fire winner, a University associate dean, in their pack.

The probable lone shoo-in, Judson T. Shaplin, an Educational School administrator, will be seeking re-election to the City School Committee endorsed by the Cambridge Civic Association, the party which pledges to be "more sympathetic to requests from Harvard."

The CCA will also sponsor 14 other University alumni for the nine seats on the City Council and the five remaining posts on the School Committee.

The Independents, CCA opposition party, which for the last two years has placed a narrow majority on the City Council, promises mainly that, if elected, the city will be run by the people.

In the important School Committee race, the Independents presently claim a slight edge since only Shaplin, out of the four CCA incumbents, is seeking reelection.

"A CCA defeat in this race," Shaplin warned yesterday, "would surely return cheap politics and patronage to a committee which has been able to greatly improve the quality of City teachers during the past term."

Independent Edward J. Sullivan, an incumbent city councillor, refused to comment on the possible action his party will take toward the University's parking problem.

Sullivan, longtime fee of the College's parking habits, said yesterday, "Wait till we (the Independents) get a majority and then I'll tell you what will happen."