U.N. Police Force With Atom Power Favored by Sohn

A professor of Law last night urged the formation of a United Nations Police Force armed with enough atomic weapons to counterbalance any bombs that big powers might hide from an inspection team.

"You can control future production of weapons," Louis B. Sohn, professor of Law and John Harvey Gregory Lecturer on World Organization, warned, "But you can't inspect the past. This is the stalemate, and the only solution is a strong Police Force," he added.

Calling for a complete but gradual disarmament system, Sohn declared that "President Eisenhower seems to be moving in the right direction on disarmament, and I hope he continues to make the decisions."

Sohn also favored a "strong international tribunal with sufficient jurisdiction to solve disputes between nations." At present, he added, "the World Court does not have a single case before it."

Sohn spoke at a meeting of the Harvard World Federalists in the Freshman Union. He urged his proposals as part of a general U.N. Charter revision.

"In the long run," he said, "the U.S. should try to strengthen the rule of law in the U.N. and not allow the whims of a majority in the General Assembly to go any direction it wants. The only real protection for a 'have' nation in a 'havenot' world is strong international law."