Buck Favors Extended Lamont Library Hours

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

Paul H. Buck, the new Director of the University Library, said yesterday he "sympathized with the undergraduate request for longer hours," and would like to extend Lamont Library's hours to meet this need.

To meet this situation, however, additional funds would be necessary, he added, and "the one remaining problem is how to find resources to meet this demand without weakening other services which are presently performed and are also required."

In an interview at his office, Buck said there is no doubt but that undergraduates desire longer Lamont hours. "The students, and especially freshmen, have established the fact that a situation exists," he said, "which would make longer hours desirable."

He cited three main goals which, if attained, would probably improve the present situation. These include extending the library's hours during both Reading Period and exams; keeping the library open from 9-12 Monday through Friday; and opening it on Sunday from 2-10.

No Exam Period Program

No program has been decided upon for this winter's exam period, but Buck said the experiments of the last two years have indicated students want the library extension.

"I have not found the solution yet," Buck said, "but I am not pessimistic about the possibilities of finding one." When asked what the ideal solution might be, he answered, "A library which is open seven days a week, 24 hours a day, and as accessible and comfortable as one's personal library at home, because these college libraries should be considered in just that light--part of the student's home."

For the past two years student groups have campaigned for increased Lamont study hours during exam periods. In June of 1954, the library was opened for most of Reading Period and all of exam period from 9-12 five days a week, 9-5 on Saturday, and 2-12 on Sundays. Last year, the library was opened from the first week of exam period to the last, with the only time difference being 2-10 on Sundays.