Charity Drive Hopes to Get $17,500 Total

Pledges Eliminated For 1955-'56 Appeal

Combined Charities' goal for next week's drive will be $17,000, David M. Dorson '56, co-chairman of the fundraising appeal, announced last night. This is almost a $4,000 increase over the amount collected last year.

Dorsen also said that pledges will not to accepted by the solicitors. Lack of student interest and the difficulties in collecting were the two factors in the committee's decision, he said. In the 1953 Drive, pledges accounted for 17 per cent of the contributions, but amounted to only seven per cent of the total, he noted.

In place of pledges, future-dated chocks will be emphasized according to Dorsen, Under this system, started last year, these students who do not have the necessary funds to make a regular cash or check, contribution may write out a future-date check.

Business School Withdraws

Next week's drive will cover the College, the Radcliffe graduate school, and all Harvard graduate schools except the Business School, Dorsen said. The Business School was asked to participate in the Drive, he said, but the Student Association there decided to continue its own fund-raising appeal solely for Red Feather.

Solicitors will contact every resident student during the Drive, Dorsen noted. Commuters will receive letters requesting them to mail in contributions. A "very small sum" was collected from nonresidents last year, he said, "but we hope to get a much better response this time."

Last year's Combined Charities Drive was held in the spring term for the first time.