Indians' Captain Breaks Record, But Crimson Harriers Win, 21-38

Although Indian captain Doug Brew won the race and scattered all previous records in the dust behind him, the Crimson's harriers won the meet yesterday afternoon, 21 to 38.

Brew's outstanding finish was almost equalled by Pete Reider, who finished a scant six seconds behind the Green captain in the best race of his career. Reider set a Crimson record on the Dartmouth track in beating Hal Gerry's old mark set in 1953 by 18 seconds.

Ken Wilson, a much improved runner over last year, led the race up to the first mile. Then Reider took over and was out in front until he hit the 100-yard stretch to the finish line. Brew, content to let Reider have the lead for the middle part of the race, closed rapidly on him.

Saving himself for the decisive struggle, Brew relied on his strong finishing kick. Although Reider fought him all the way, he did not quite have the power to outlast the Dartmouth captain.

Loss on Depth

But Dartmouth lost on depth. The next three runners to cross the finish line were Crimson harriers. A minute behind Reider was Captain Don French, then Wilson, and Ralph Perry. After an intervening Dartmouth runner came Dave McLean, and Dick Wharton, and Al Wills, who tied for eighth and ninth.

Winning by an unexpectedly large score, 16-43, the Yardlings left Dartmouth to nurse its first defeat of the year. Jim Schlaeppi, Dyke Benjamin, Bill Gillen, and Hank Brown copped the decisive first four places for the Crimson.