Inefficiency of French Government Stimulates Intellect, Siegfried Says

The political inefficiency of France is responsible for her intellectual and cultural superiority. Andre Siegfried, an Exchange Professor in Government, and Member of the French Academy, said yesterday.

"A people governed efficiently thing little," Siegfried stated in defense of his country's political system. "In time, French politics will become more capable, but I am not sure that this will be an advantage to the country," he said.

While the present multi-party system is responsible for the confusion in French government, Siegfried felt that it stimulates intellectualism and political thought at the same time.

Agrees With Hoffman

Siegfried agreed with Stanley Hoffman, a teaching fellow in government, who said in a letter to the New York Times yesterday that the death of the European Defence Community cold not be attributed to the inefficiency of French politics.

The EDC proposal failed because neither France nor Germany were ready for it, Siegfried said. "The people of both countries still bear an intense hatred for each other," he said. "If you were a French farmer whose son had been killed in World War H you would not exactly love the Germans yourself."

Siegfried said that the present European situation could not be compared to that of the American States just before the latter formed a confederation, for unlike the states, the European countries have their own particular heritage and customs, and are reluctant to sacrifice these for the sake of central authority.