Poll Backs Requests For Broadcast Games

Faculty Decides Tonight

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

Sixty percent of the undergraduates who did not attend Saturday's football game would have liked to have listened to a broadcast of the contest. This figure was revealed in a poll conducted on the eve of tonight's meeting of the Faculty Committee on Athletics.

The Faculty Committee is expected to decide tonight whether WHRB may broadcast the remaining four home games on the varsity schedule.

The poll also revealed, moreover, that a substantial number of students attended the home opener against the University of Massachusetts. Of the 740 polled, 547, or 74 percent indicated that they were in Harvard Stadium Saturday.

But of the 193 who did not attend, 115 indicated that they would have listened to a broadcast. This large percentage of students who would have listened seems to strengthen WHRB's assertion that there would be a definite audience for its broadcasts. Moreover, of the 547 who did go to the game, only 35 indicated that they would have stayed home if there had been a broadcast.

This small number who would have stayed away would seem to dispel the Department of Athletics' fear that broadcasting of home games might substantially cut down on attendance figures.

Last Attempt

Tonight's meeting will probably be WHRB's last attempt this year to gain approval of their broadcast request--a request it has submitted for the past three years. In the past, WHRB was turned down down because the University had already signed a contract with local station WBZ.

But this year, the University has not given broadcasting rights to any station. Because of this WHRB thought its request might be granted this season. The Department of Athletics, however, while not making its decision final, showed strong disapproval of the idea last week.

The poll was conducted last night in the College Dining Halls by The CRIMSON in an effort to determine student reaction to broadcasts of the game.