Lewis Returns as Football Team Readies for Cornell

Dexter Lewis, Terry Cheek, and Walt Stahura worked out at wingback yesterday as varsity units drilled against the freshmen in preparation for Saturday's Ivy League opener against Cornell.

A regular on last year's Big Three champion team, Lewis appeared to be lost to the Crimson when he injured his knee this summer. His availability, therefore, has come as a pleasant surprise to Coach Lloyn Jordan.

"He hasn't had as much work this year as Simourian and Eikenberry," Jordan said yesterday, "and it will take time to make this up. But Dexter is coming along very nicely," he continued, "we are pleased with his progress."

Simourian and Elkenberry did not take part in contact work yesterday due to slight injuries. Both men alternated at the wingback spot in last Saturday's game against the University of Massachusetts. Jordan does not, however, expect that the injuries will seriously weaken his team's wingback position for the Cornell game this Saturday. He has plenty of depth in the backfield spots.

Faced with a surplus of fine backs, Jordan's major problem remains his second line, which is becoming "more unified and more cohesive as they play together," he said. "But they still have a long way to go before they catch up to our first unit," he added.

The following alternated on the still-unsettled second line: Ends: Hooper, Newell, and Copeland; tackles: Schein and Markos; guard: Jones and Quartarone; centers: Lebovitz and Holzschuh.