Two Confidence Men Hoax Freshmen in $50 Swindle

Two confidence men evaded a swarm of swindled freshmen last night and escaped with an estimated fifty dollars. The two men, posing as College seniors, duped an estimated 25 students of two dollars apiece before the freshmen realized they were being hoaxed.

For about an hour and a half last night, the pair of suave talkers went from one freshman dormitory to another, telling the students that they were representing a "Senior Welcoming. Committee for Freshmen." They told them that this group was planning to throw "a giant blast," the night of Oct. 15, which all students, coaches, and faculty "would attend." The site of this projected party was the Sheraton-Plaza Hotel.

Swindled freshmen said the pair were very smooth speakers, and seemed "typical seniors." One was dressed in Ivy League clothing, a tweed jacket with gray flannel pants, while the other wore a gaberdine suit. They both had slight Boston accents.

The first student to think he was being hoaxed was William Ware '59 of Thayer Hall. Ware said he became suspicious when he asked them for their bursar's cards, and they could not produce any. After he gave them his two dollars he notified his proctor who directed him to the police.

The police directed the students to "get out after those guys, tackle them and sit on them" until they arrived. At 9 p.m. about 20 freshmen from the western part of the Yard swarmed outside looking for the pair. They spotted the men in the Yard and gave chase. But the swindlers escaped.

Police last night had no idea who the two men might be.