Nine Presidents Institute Formal Political Forum

Clubs Proceed on Project Without Young Republicans

One chair remained vacant, waiting for a representative of the Young Republican Club, while executives of nine other College organizations went ahead to form the Harvard Political Forum last night.

The HYRC has refused to join the Forum, since it was proposed early in October for fear that the group would become a powerful "super-organization." The representatives last night made no further conciliatory efforts to persuade the Young Republicans that the Forum will not encroach on the sovereignty of any member organization. The Harvard Political Forum will be spelled with capital, not small letters as they had formerly proposed.

The Forum has a written agreement "to increase the possibilities for closer association" between College political groups but it will be a "non-recognized" framework with the sole power of calling meetings. No votes will be taken, but two or more groups may arrange for joint activities at any Forum meeting.

The nine representatives further made a "gentleman's agreement" that "no affiliate clubs shall thwart, subvert or in any way frustrate the activities of another club."

David Titus '56, chairman of the U.N. Council, last night explained that the Forum was "purely an ad hoc arrangement.

Members present last night and subscribing to the Forum agreement were the U.N. Council, Debate Council, Society for Minority Rights, New Conservative Club, Social Democratic Forum, Conserative League, Young Democrats, Liberal Union, and Fellowship of Reconciliation.