Yale--Consistent & Formidable

The Sporting Scene

By John A. Rava

Except for a slip last Saturday, Yale's gridiron eleven has played strong consistent football this season. Almost the same well-balanced team which has won six of eight games, including an impressive victory over Army and decisions over three foes who defeated the Crimson: Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth, will start Saturday against Harvard.

Injured left guard Pete Fritzche will be the only regular not to start. Several reserves are also definitely out, including second-string quarterback Dick Winterbauer, who may not even leave the hospital to see the game.

The only game running against the pattern of consistent ball was the 13-0 Princeton debacle, when every break went against the Elis. Twice they fumbled within the Tiger nine yard line, and both times Princeton men fell on the ball, Penalties, too, played their role, as several Yale drives, including one touchdown, were called back and halted by the referee's whistle.

Even in this defeat, however, it was offensive blunders instead of defensive lapses which hurt. Coach Jordan Olivar stated that, "Princeton did nothing offensively to win the ball game." . . . And in all eight games to date the Eli forward wall has allowed but 72 points, or only nine points a game. . . .

Reports from New Haven indicate that yesterday the team finally snapped out of a week-long Princeton-caused doldrums. In its last contact scrimmage Yale displayed spirit and desire which had been conspicuously absent. . . .

In addition to a formidable forward wall, Yale displays a fast experienced backfield which leads the Ivy League in total points scored and in several individual statistics. Al Ward continues to top the scoring department, with ten touchdowns. Dennis McGill, his halfback cohort, leads the rushing totals with 535 yards in 95 rushes, for a 5.6 per carry average.