Student-Owned Recording Company Announces Releasing of First Disc

"Jazz in a Stable"

A recording company founded by a group of undergraduates issued its first record, "Jazz in a Stable," yesterday.

Chartered in March, 1955 as "Transition Tapes, Inc.", the company was conceived by Thomas B. Wilson '54, Wells Whitney '55, and Steven Greysner '56, its president, treasurer, and business manager respectively.

"We plan to specialize in folk songs, jazz, and American classical music," Wilson said. "One of our main objectives is to record neglected American compositions which we feel deserve recognition."

Wilson said that his company also intends to record artists and musical organizations from the University. "We are especially interested in the winning composition in the annual spring music contest," he added.

The "Jazz in a Stable" disc, which features the first group to play at the Harvard New Jazz Society, is devoted to progressive and experimental music. It will be followed by a Dixieland record, "Jazz at Columbus Ave.", featuring the Johnny Windhurst quintet with Jim Andrews '58 at the piano. Later in the year the company will release "Jazz for Harvard Squares", a record angled at students who dislike jazz.

While the company has made no definite plans regarding classical music, it will issue its first folksong LP, "The Voice of Sam Gary", late in December.

"Although we will concentrate on producing Ll' records during the next 18 months, most of our music will thereafter be issued on tapes," Wilson said.