Dental Clinic May Expand Services To Grad Students

Possibilities for a major expansion of University dental services were outlined yesterday by Dr. James M. Dunning '26, new Director of the Hygiene Department's Dental Health Service. Dr. Dunning said that he hopes to provide a free X-ray and explorer examination of the teeth of all new students in the University.

This would be an extension of this year's new program by which each member of the Class of '59 had a set of bite-wing dental X-rays taken as part of his physical examination. If funds become available, Dr. Dunning would broaden the coverage to new graduate students as well and add the explorer examination.

Mailed to Students

The X-rays of '59's teeth are now being processed and interpreted, and between 200 and 300 sets have been mailed to the individual students with general recommendations of what care should be taken. This service will definitely be provided for the Class of '60.

Explaining the financial situation of the Dental Health Service, he said that it was almost entirely self-sufficient, drawing money for only a small fraction of its administrative costs from Hygiene Department funds. Fees for dental care cover all other costs. Dr. Dunning continued that he would prefer not to increase fees to facilitate broadened services, and said he was hopeful that some arrangement could be worked out.