Crimson Freshman Football Squad Beats Princeton, 31-0

The Crimson freshman football offense finally found itself Saturday as it rolled over a solid Princeton team, 31 to 0, on a field of ankle-deep mud. The Yardlings, led by fullback Stan Merkel with three touchdowns, scored in every period but the third to record their second win of the season.

Merkel opened the scoring early in the first period when he broke through guard and scored from 35 yards out. A few minutes later, he ran 60 yards to tally on the same play.

Jim Bell, hard-running tailback, closed the scoring in the first half when he galloped 35 yards on an off-tackle slant.

A 30-yard pass play from Ron Johanson to Stu Hershon netted the final Crimson score late in the fourth quarter. A pass from Johanson to John Soucek, good for 40 yards to the Tiger 10 yard line set up the fourth touchdown. The squad drove down to the two yard line and Merkel bucked over for the tally.

Tackles Pete Briggs and Hal Anderson and guards Jim Keating and Glen Nelson headed a strong forward wall which effectively bottled up Princeton's fleet backs. Offensive ends Soucek and Hershon enabled Johanson to complete his passes with accuracy, in spite of the mucky going.