Ivy Regulations Delay HAA Decision On Scheduling Centre College in '57

'First Game Still Anyone's Guess'

The question of whether the pious Colonels of Centre College will play in the Stadium in 1957 will not be answered until Jan. 1.

Donald M. Felt, Assistant Director of Athletics, said last night that because of Ivy League scheduling regulations, the opening game of the 1957 football season is still undetermined.

Felt, speaking for Director Thomas Bolles, who is on vacation in Florida, added that "It's anyone's guess as to who Harvard will play on this only open date in 1957."

The Centre team, which spends its halftime rest in prayer, last week had been recommended as the opponent which could most help the H.A.A.'s meagre ticket sales. In its only two games with the varsity in 1920-21, it drew 95,000 fans, 20,000 more than all five of the 1955 visiting teams combined.

Undefeated This Year

The unique yellow-jersied eleven received nation-wide publicity this fall by completing its first undefeated season since it gave up big-time football in 1921. That was the year the Colonels ended a Crimson winning streak of 25 games.

Varsity coach Lloyd Jordan yesterday agreed with Centre's Director of Athletics, Briscoe Inman, stating that a game with the once-famous "Praying Colonels" of Danville, Ky. "would be great from a traditional standpoint."