Varsity Squash Team Faces Navy

By Lewis M. Steel

Two of the top squash teams in the East will meet today when Harvard and Navy open their intercollegiate seasons in Hemenway Gym at 3 p.m.

The Crimson, with one outstanding star and eight other solid players, must match the endurance of a well-conditioned Middle squad in order to win.

Junior Ben Heckscher at one should prove more than equal to the Academy's Tom Lynch. Hockscher's combination of accurate corner shots and powerful drives rank him as the finest college player in the East.

But the eight remaining varsity players will be more evenly matched. Crimson Coach Jack Barnaby calls Navy a "tough team, one that has been practicing since early in the year." For the last two weeks he has drilled the squad on returning hard services, and has worked for steady play.

Second man and Captain Pete Milton is much improved as a result of this drive for consistency. He had the stamina to play long matches; now he has the game.

Cal Place, number three, will rely on touch and on his ability to drop the ball in the corners on a dead run. Fourth man Lee Folger plays a fast game, while Charlie MacVeagh has a powerful, orthodox style.

Marty Heckscher and Roger Cortesi, six and seven, respectively, will attempt to counter Navy's steadiness with their own consistent play.

Larry Sears, the Crimson's only starting sophomore, will follow Laney Thomas, who is called by Barnaby "one of the hardest fighters on the team."

These nine will face a Navy squad that will rely mainly on power and retrieving ability, in Barnaby's opinion.