Congress May Grant Aid to Reserve Units

The University may be able to obtain federal funds to defray the cost of Shannon Hall construction in 1950, if the federal government's defense budget for 1956 is passed in tact by Congress. The six point program would provide for government grants to help pay for any ROTC construction since 1945.

The plan would also grant up to $150,000 for each ROTC unit at a college to help finance new construction. To obtain these funds, however, a college would have to match government grants with its own, and Dean Bundy indicated that the University would not request funds under the program in the foreseeable future.

The plan would also contribute $200 to a college for every ROTC student when there are over 300 in a unit. The University has no units with more than 300 students.

The proposal has the backing of five major college associations: The American Council on Education; the Association of American Colleges; the Association of Land Grant Colleges and Universities; the National Catholic Educational Association; and the National Association of State Universities.

These five groups have sent out a questionnaire to all colleges requesting information pertinent to ROTC. The results of this poll will be used to supply information for Congressional hearings when the proposed program is presented at the next session in January.