Organisms in Entrails of Chickens Caused Poisoning, Morris Reveals

The process employed by kitchen workers in the preparation of chicken is the direct cause of Wednesday's outbreak of intestinal disorder, John C. Morris, sanitary inspector for the Hygiene Department, revealed last night. The purchasing system used by the Central Kitchen is indirectly at fault, he added.

Morris' investigation has "pretty well established" the fact that the epidemic was a result of creamed chicken served for dinner Tuesday night. "All that remains now is simply tying down the evidence," Morris added.

Chickens are delivered in a frozen state in "New York dress," which leaves the entrails still inside the fowls. After arrival at the kitchen, the chickens are stored in freezers. The night before they are to be served they are removed from the freezers and left on tables to thaw through the night. The chickens are not removed from the tables until the next morning, when workers eviscerate and prepare them.

Morris feels that exposing the chickens while they still possess their entrails gives certain organisms a chance to develop poisonous toxins.

Morris, in his investigation, obtained trays of cut chicken not used for the meal and had them crushed. A smear test revealed the presence of "staphylococcus organisms, which generate a poisonous toxin when they are left in warm air."