Union May Force 4 Local Barbers To Increase Rates

Four independent barbers in Cambridge, who fought the recent union rise to $1.50 for a haircut, will probably be coerced into joining the union and raising their rates, it was learned yesterday.

One union official gave the edict: "Free riders (independents) will soon realize that they can't continue operations without organizational backing."

The officer, John J. Santoro, who is president of the state Associated Master Barbers and Beauticians of America, did not outline steps he would take to force the four independents to join, but announced that he was starting a concerted drive to make college area membership one hundred percent.

If the four non-union barbers cannot resist union invasion, their prices will jump from the current $1.15 to the union's $1.50 rate.

One of the independents yesterday indicated some resentment at the imminent union campaign. "We have gotten along fine by ourselves. If we joined, we'd have to pay organizational dues, and then raise our prices," said Joseph Longfellow, Broadway barber who still charges $1.15.

The four non-union shops charged 75 and 90 cents for a haircut until last week. "The cost of living finally caught up with us, I guess," Longfellow noted.

Union-man Santoro feels that his organization offers considerable advantages to the barbers. "Workers would get better conditions and compensation, and owners would profit from being organized. You can't stand alone forever in the world."

Of the 110 barber shops in Cambridge, 20 are independent. Twenty-six have not joined the union but when the Master Barbers decided to bike the rates recently, they went along with the move and also set the $1.50 price.