WHRB Plans Broadcasts Of Varsity Hockey Games

A long-standing HAA policy came to an end last night when Geoffrey M. Kalmus '56, president of WHRB, announced that Crimson hockey games will be broadcast this year for the first time. The former policy had permitted only basketball broadcasts during the winter.

Kalmus explained that "the HAA would not permit radio descriptions of hockey games because these contests were played in the Boston Garden and Arena and broadcasting might tend to cut attendance." Since most home games are now played in the Donald C. Watson rink at no cost to students, he pointed out, there is no reason to refuse broadcasting rights to WHRB.

Elbery Motors, Inc. bought radio time for the programs in a package deal, but final details have not been settled, Kalmus said. Broadcasts of two of the 11 games and the Bean Pot Tournament are not yet definite.

WHRB plans to broadcast the games in a novel manner, Kalmus said. When hockey and basketball dates coincide, WHRB will carry the basketball game between periods of the hockey game. If the hockey game becomes "uninteresting," the station will switch to the basketball game alone.

Middlebury Uncertain

Kalmus is not certain that this Saturday's Middlebury game will be broadcast, as the necessary equipment may not be installed in Watson in time for the game.

If the season's finale with Yale on March 10 is not carried, Kalmus added, the station will substitute the Harvard-Yale swim meet and basketball game scheduled for the same day at New Haven.

The tentative schedule is: Dec. 10, Middlebury at Watson; Jan. 7, Dartmouth at Watson; Jan. 14, Brown at Watson; Feb. 4, at Dartmouth; Feb. 6-8, Bean Pot Tournament at the Garden; Feb. 11, at Brown; Feb. 18, at Princeton; Mar. 3, at Yale; Mar. 7, Princeton at Watson; and Mar. 10, Yale at the Arena.