Hanson States Need for Uniformity In College Exemption Requirements

By John G. Wofford

The largest problem in the first year of the College's Advanced Standing program was the difficulty of making Harvard's course exemption standards conform with those of other colleges, Harlan P. Hanson, Director of the Office of Advanced Standing, announced in his first annual report Tuesday.

Hanson told a meeting of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences that the College must "come to terms" with College Entrance Examination Board standards for freshman courses. In May, 1956, the CEEB will begin testing all secondary school students seeking advanced placement in CEEB member colleges.

"Every time we find it necessary to differ with the public syllabus for these courses, we confuse the problem for the secondary schools," Hanson said. Five of Harvard's departments have accepted the examinations and standards of the CEEB, but four have special requirements for omitting elementary courses.

Hanson urged all departments to "make clear how much we differ form the CEEB book" and also to conform to these standards whenever possible. He cautioned, however, "not to compromise our standards when we think we are right."

The Advanced Standing Program, established in March, 1954, enables superior secondary school students to omit certain elementary freshman courses. Any student receiving Advanced Placement in three such courses may be admitted as a sophomore. There is also a provision for Early Admission of selected 11th grade secondary school students directly into the freshman class.

Hanson reported that approximately 100 entering students have qualified for advanced placement this fall, and tow have entered directly as sophomores. Five students came directly from 11th grade into this year's freshman class.