Pusey's Promises University's Help For City Projects

President Pusey told a dinner meeting of local citizens and the City Planning Board this week that the University will support the efforts of local citizens to get an effective urban renewal program under way.

A group of the Cambridge business men present at the dinner contemplates formation of a citizens' committee to stimulate action in City Hall on the project. Admiral Edward Cochrane (Ret.), M.I.T.'s vice president in charge of governmental relations, told the meeting that the Institute would also participate in such a committee.

Pusey also said that he thought that the renewal program--which involves rebuilding large sections of Cambridge--could help solve the University's present shortage of housing for married graduate students and younger faculty members.

The next step in the urban renewal scheme will be the appointment of a Cambridge Redevelopment Authority by City Manager John J. Curry '19. Curry declined to fix a final date for the appointment.

The federal government, in early October, approved Cambridge as a renewable area and will underwrite two-thirds of the project's costs if plans to be drawn up by the Authority are approved.

The Cambridge Civic Association and other local ements are backing the formation of the proposed citizens' committee. The group could be either a temporary one to stimulate effective action on urban renewal or a permanent organization for the encouragement of local reforms as they are needed.

University and M.I.T. officials, however, have expressed their willingness to participate in the group in whatever form it emerges.