Anti-Red Teacher Bills May Never Reach Floor

State Committee May Refer Measures to Group for Report.

Five State bills which would compel private colleges to dismiss Communists from their teaching staffs may be referred to the Commission on Communism and never reach a floor vote, according to Sen. George J. Evans (R) of New Bedford, chairman of the Joint Committee on Education.

The Committee conducted an open hearing on the bills yesterday and will report its findings to the Legislature in two weeks. Evans said after the hearing it was possible that the committee would at that time make no specific recommendation but refer "the whole question of Communists in schools" to the Commission on Communism.

Report General

If the bills are given to the Commission, they will be incorporated into its report on the general question of Communist infiltration to be made to the State Legislature on May 1. It will only list specific instances of infiltration, and will not recommend the passage of any particular bills.

The bills would not only compel colleges to expel Communists and Communist sympathizers from their teaching staffs, but would also amend the State's Teacher Loyalty Oath. The amended Oath would force all teachers to swear they are not, nor ever have been, members of the Communist Party.

Rep. Charles A. Ianello (D) of Boston, sponsor of two of the bills, bitterly attacked the University at the hearing. "Look at Harvard; they're loaded with Commies over there," Ianello said. "We've got an obligation to narrow these open minds down a little."

The chairman of the Commission's sub-committee on education, Rep. William I. Randall (R) of Middlex, agreed with Evans' statement.