New Russian Leadership Change Will Not Affect Soviets' Friendly Red China Policies, Expert Says

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

This is the fifth of a series of six articles to be published in the CRIMSON on the Soviet Union and its satellites.

Five years ago yesterday the Soviet Union and Communist China signed a treaty of friendship, alliance, and mutual assistance between the two countries. Since that time, and including last week's change in Russian leadership, nothing has happened to weaken the alliance--in fact, recent developments indicate a strengthening of that bond.

But although Nikita Khrushev's rise to power may not estrange the two nations, pessimists are wrong if they see the events in Moscow as leading to an all-out world war. There is no evidence that the resignation of Georgia Malcukov was timed with developments in the Formosa Strait, or that any other connection exists between the two.

A leading expert in the foreign relations of Russia and China, Benjamin I. Schwarts, assistant professor of History, and a member of the Russian Research Center, said it is much too early to know whether or not there will be any significant change in Russia's relations toward China. But, as he pointed out, during the short period of time when Malenkov was Prime Minister, there was a trend to ease the difference of the two countries, and there is no present reason for the trend to halt.

In the last week, many Communist officials have reaffirmed "the unbreakable fraternal friendship" of the two countries. Yesterday, for instance, Mao Tes-tung, the ruler of Red China, in a wave public statement, expressed confidence that "the great cooperation between China and the Soviet Union will be strengthened still further."

Up to the death of Stalin March, 1953, certain Western observers believed it was inevitable that Russia, the undisputed leader of world communism, and China, a potential rival of Russia for communist dominance, would split. These observers pointed to undeniable differences between the two countries, as well can persuade the majority of the House that he is correct, that is all right with me," he continued.

The Interhouse Dance Committee began consideration of a spring weekend last October, when an informal vote of the Committee showed a large majority of dance chairman in favor of "some sort of spring weekend." Earlier this month the dance committee chairman voted to submit a resolution calling for a weekend to the eight House Committees. The final decision was made last night after the House Committees had agreed to the resolution