Braucher Expects Inactive Congress

"When the American people voted for a Democratic Congress last November they voted for inaction, and I estimate they will get it," Robert Braucher, professor of Law, said yesterday.

Speaking at the Harkness Coffee Hour, Braucher said that "the recent election has strengthened President Eisenhower's political position because whatever little the Democrats do will put them in a bad light." The Democrats as yet have no real issues for the next election, he said.

"There is a very large measure of agreement on defense, welfare, and 'internal housekeeping,'" Braucher continued, "with only minor differences on policy details. Because there are so few real differences in general policy, the Democrats need something that they can argue about. There are not many soft spots for them to pick at," he stated.

Braucher felt that the Administration's greatest trouble would come from the areas of labor, agriculture, and electric power. "Here, Congress could get really political," he said.

"For about a year there will be relative 'peaceful co-existence' between parties," he continued, "but then politics will warm up and come to a boil in August, 1956."