AFL Makes New Bid for University Employee Control

The AFL, defeated by a 2-1 margin last year, will probably attempt to unionize University employees again this spring.

AFL "feelers" claim there is more enthusiasm for affiliation with their union than ever before. "May be this is the year," Edward Sullivan, head of the AFL building service local, said.

Robert Ready, new president of the HUERA, denied that more than a "small group of dissenters" backed the AFL.

"The AFL has nothing to offer us. We pay lower dues and get higher benefits," Ready said. The AFL argues that affiliation with a national union would put University employees in a stronger bargaining position.

Ready claimed that the AFL wanted to take over University employees in order to use University wages and benefits as a standard for all New England colleges. The University is one of the few New England institutions not under AFL control, and pays higher wages than any comparable employer.

Sullivan, of the AFL says that his aim is to help University employees, not the AFL. "We don't want trouble with the HUERA or Harvard," he said. "We agree with the HUERA on policy, and the only question is affiliation. If they want us, we're ready, and if we're sure they want us out we'll stay out."