Freshmen Pitch Pennies at Smoker

The two hours of entertainment at last night's '58 Smoker in Sanders Theater were marked by penny-throwing, cat-calls, paper airplanes, and stamping feet.

Chaperoned by four deans, dozens of proctors, and the University police force, 850 freshmen staged a beer-slinging, pretzel-throwing show of their own in Memorial Hall following the planned entertainment.

In Sanders Theater the program featured a team of mimics who didn't show up, a hip-swinging vocalist who almost didn't show up, and the Wellesley Widows, who did show up and wished they hadn't Al Capp, billed as a "personality extraordinaire," told "one of the worst audiences I've ever faced" that "there are some people here who don't belong here."

A Mist of Beer

Several of the more exuberant participants in the little party that followed the official entertainment were roughly escorted to the door in a mist of beer. One proctor, with damp stains on his rain-coat, boasted, "I've got five bursar's cards."

The drinking was halted several times so the freshmen could participate in wrestling matches.