Justice Clark Will Judge in Ames Contest

Thomas C. Clark, associate justice of the United States Supreme Court, will be one of the three finalist judges of the Law School's annual Ames Competition, it was learned last night.

The two other judges are as yet unannounced. They will include a high state court judge and a nationally prominent barrister.

Finals of the competition will be held in the early part of April in the new Austen Hall Courtroom. The Baker-Smith and Jaffe Clubs will compete for the $800 Ames award.

"But much more important than the stipend is the honor of winning," Remsen Kinne 3L, chairman of the Board of Student Advisors, which supervises the competition, said. "Employers roughly equate the honor of winning with membership on the Law Review," he added.

Clark Was U.S. Attorney General

Clark was Attorney General of the United States from 1945 to 1949, and has been associate justice of the Supreme Court since then. He received his A.B. in 1921 and his LL.B. the following year from the University of Texas.

After practicing law in Texas until 1927, Clark moved onto the national scene with appointments to jobs in the Department of Justice. During the war he served as coordinator of alien enemy control under the Western Defense Command.

In the first year of Law School the competition begins with 64 clubs of eight members apiece. The year is devoted to gaining experience with practice cases.

Elimination begins in the fall of the second year, when each club puts four two-men teams into the contest. The eight clubs receiving the highest total number of points go on in the competition. The tourney continues through to the spring of the third year with the number of remaining teams being cut in half with each separate set of contests.