Varsity Quintet Loses, 68-58, After Tufts Stages Late Rally

By Lee Pollak

A tired varsity basketball team led Tufts for 33 minutes and then fell apart completely, dropping a 68 to 58 decision at Medford last night.

The defeat was the Crimson's 14th in 19 games. Dick Manning led the scoring with 22 points 15 in the first half.

The opening 20 minutes were close all the way, with the score tied seven times. A last second jump shot by Phil Haughy gave the varsity at 32 to 30 edge at the half.

Tufts took the lead for the first time in the game after three minutes had passed in the second half, but nine straight Crimson points gave the varsity a 47 to 38 lead at the seven minute mark.

From then on, it was all Tufts, with the Elephants outscoring the varsity, 30 to 11. A three point play by Ike Canty brought the varsity within one point with less than two minutes to play; but in the final hectic 90 seconds the home squad managed to net 13 points.

Freshmen Lose

In the preliminary, the freshmen lost to a strong Tufts squad, 64 to 60. The Elephants led 41 to 31 at the half. Leading scorer for the Yardlings was substitute Tony Massari with 14 points. Forward Dick Woolston and guard Tom Bergheim each put in ten.

The defeat brought the freshman record to five wins, seven defeats. The team's next game is Friday, against New Hampshire, at the I.A.B. The varsity meets Dartmouth here on the same night.