Howe Says Yale Admission System Caused Ivy Scandal

Arthur Howe, Director of Admissions at Yale, yesterday blamed Yale's personal interview program for failure to detect subsidization which led to the recent ineligibility ruling by Ivy League officials.

Howe pointed out that it is nearly impossible to make satisfactory investigations of pre-college finances. This and was echoed by officials in other Ivy League colleges.

Funds supplied by Yale alumni in Chicago were first discovered by Dean Bender when they were listed on a University application form. "We did not have the same kind of forms as Harvard last year," Howe explained, "instead we only asked searching questions of scholarship applicants."

"But we are wholeheartedly and unitedly trying to eliminate abuses," he added.

Howe Favors New Plan

Howe expressed hope that the College Scholarship Service, proposed in the spring of 1953 by John U. Monro '34, Director of the Financial Aid Center, and accepted by Ivy schools this fall, will take care of what he calls a delicate subject. Under the new plan, a prospective athlete who is accepted by one school after rejection by others will be subject to careful scrutiny by Ivy League colleges, Howe said. "There will be a question of moral commitment to member schools to be answered," he added.

Monro's plan provides that all scholarship applicants submit a standard form to the CSS, which will then make the same information available to colleges designated by applicants. It will further publish the resulting grants so that member schools can compare awards.

Could Happen at Cornell

Similar hopes for the new plan were voiced by Robert W. Storandt, Assistant Director of Admissions at Cornell. At present the Cornell scholarship office has no check of subsidation, except in the case of private school students, Storandt said. "It is entirely possible that the Yale incident could be repeated here," he added.

Dean Watson, however, has pointed cut that the inability to obtain specific information on pre-college subsidization is "one of the main weaknesses in the Ivy Code."