Track Team Enters IC4A Meet Tonight

Earlier this season the Crimson track team upset B.U. and Tuesday it lost by a very narrow margin to Yale, but both its recent opponents are favored to finish ahead of the varsity in the IC4A championships at New York's Madison Square Gardon tonight.

Coach Bill McCurdy's steady but average squad will have to go all out to pile up the seconds and thirds which it has used in dual competition to equalize its enemy's wins. Cornell, Manhattan and Villanova also have such a swarm of top runners that they may overpower the varsity and allow the Elis or the Terriers to take the meet, as the latter schools rely more on a few outstanding stars than on depth.

Middle distance runners Dick Wharton, Dave Alpers, and Renny Little, along with hurdlers Captain Bob Rittenburg and Joel Cohen have been the backbone of the varsity's dual meet strength. But with the exception of Cohen and Rittenburg in the 60-yard hurdles and Alpers, Alan Howe, Little, and Rittenburg in the mile relay few of McCurdy's squad have indicated that they can win their respective events against the IC4A's field of more than 600 competitors from 42 eastern colleges.

If the Crimson does score surprise victories, they will probably come in the mile and the broad jump. Art Wills has cut his mile time down to 4:19.6 which places him close behind Bill Smith of B.U., who has run a 4:13.6 mile. Rittenburg has broad jumped well over 22 feet and could outdistance Yale's Heptagonal Champion Dick Goss, and Army's Bob Kyasky.

When Yale won this meet last year, its weight men Stu Thompson and Tom Henderson and its sprinters Larry Reno and Hank Thresher were largely responsible for the victory, and they are returning.

Villanova also may take the team championship. The Wildeat's sophomore Charlie Jenkins has bettered the IC4A 600 record with a time of 1:10 and his teammate Don Bragg polo vaulted to a national college freshman record of 14 ft. 6 in.

Hurdler Charlie Pratt, two-miler Bob Sharra, and 1000-man Bob Goodwin have established Manhattan as another championship possibility. Last year the Jaspers were third, only two points behind Yale.