Band Opens Drive to Buy Replacement for Big Drum

The Band yesterday began its campaign to finance replacement of its eight-foot bass drum, and the first contributor to the "Dimes for the Drum" campaign was varsity football coach Lloyd P. Jordan. He gave 100 dimes to Band manager Arnold H. Aronson '56.

The 28-year-old Band trademark expired last week from age and sudden cold. Because of the weakened conditions of its mammoth cowhide sides, it had been silent for the past three years.

The "Dimes" campaign will open formally this evening in the dining halls. The drive's goal is $1500.

In at least one aspect of its replacement attempts, the Band met with success yesterday. According to Aronson, the Slingerland Company of Evansville, Indiana, has assured the Band that it can locate a big enough cowhide, cure it for the necessary three months, and deliver a new drum, even bigger than the old, by the start of next football season--if it can be paid for.

In order to be sure of delivery by early next fall, Aronson said the Band has ordered the drum. But, the manager pointed out, with trips to three away football games next season, the Band alone cannot finance the cost of a new drum.

"We have to resort to student help," he said yesterday. "There's just no other way we can get the money."

Announcement of the Band's plight has already brought several offers of help, including that of a freshman who volunteered to write a Texas-ranching uncle, trying to find a cow with a hide big enough for the drum heads.

A new drum will restore to the Band its former distinction of owning the largest playable bass drum in the world. The University of Florida last year bought a drum identical to the old Band instrument; now, of course, the new Harvard drum would be slightly larger.