Hoop, Mat Squads Meet Columbia

Crimson Five to Face Strong Lion Quintet As Sacks Leaves

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

Senior Harry Sacks, Harvard's leading basketball scorer for the past two seasons has quit the Crimson squad and will not be in uniform tonight when the Crimson faces a very strong Columbia quintet at the IAB. A JV game against Fort Devens will start at 6:00, with the varsity game due to begin at 8:00.

Sacks, who set an all-time Harvard record of 432 points last season, and an Ivy League record for foul shots taken and scored, 205 and 127, told Coach Floyd Wilson that he wanted to spend more time on his studies. He was leading the varsity in scoring with 187 points when he quit.

For tonight's game, Wilson agreed that his team will have to stop Columbia's phenomenal scorer Chet Forte (pronounced For-toe) if it is going to come anywhere near winning. "Forte is the second best college shooter I've ever seen," Wilson said yesterday. "The only better one I've ever seen was Larry Costello of Niagara." (Costello was Niagara's captain last season.)

Average Almost 50%

Forte likes to shoot from anywhere, and he hardly ever misses. His average is about 26 points a game, and his shooting average is almost 50 percent. What is most amazing is that he is only 5-9 and a sophomore. He scored 37 against Brown Wednesday, Columbia's tenth win in 14 games.

With his team possessing a lukewarm 4-9 record, 1-5 in the league, Wilson is starting four sophomores, Ike Canty, Phil Haughey, Dick Hurley, and Bob Hastings, and Captain Roger Bulger. Hastings will have the unenviable job of trying to guard Forte. Senior Dick Manning will probably see a lot of action, substituting for Canty and Haughey.

Three wrestlers plus five usually make a team, but against Columbia they may make a victory this afternoon at 3:30 p.m. on Morninguide Heights.

The three--sophomore Bob Holmes (123), Phil Burnaman (137), and Frank Baker (147)--returned to practice this week after lay-offs for exams and injuries. As lightweights they strengthen a team which has been weak in this division so far this season.

Except for its heavyweights, the Lion team rates a slight favorite on the basis of its narrow losses to Army and Brown, which soundly beat the Crimson before exams, and its six-point win over Yale.

For the varsity, besides the three newcomers, the only line-up change since the Brown match in Phil Andrews, who drops a division to 130 in place of Ed Keating. Jime Dale (157), Bob Gilmor (167), Captain Ken Culbert (177), and unlimited Pete Morrison wrestle as usual.

The Yardlings, anxious to avenge their narrow loss to Brown, meet Loomis away this afternoon. Reynolds Goldman (123), Fred Kullman (132), and Jim Busch (unlimited) moved up to the first eight during this week's trials.

A week from tomorrow the varsity will travel to Amherst, while the freshmen are facing an unusually strong Exeter squad in the Blockhouse. On succeeding Saturdays the varsity will wrestle Princeton, M. I. T., and Yale, the matches with the Engineers and Elis being away. The final test of the season will be the Eastern championships, held this year at Penn State on March 11.

The Yardlings still have to face Andover and M. I. T. before their final match of the season against Yale at New Haven.