Soviet Expert Warns of Alarm; Party Control Termed Decisive

Economy Brought On Government Change, Shulman Believes

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

Despite the reported war-like nature of the new Soviet government, Marshall D. Shulman, associate director of the Russian Research Center, last night cautioned the West against developing "an atmosphere of alarm."

The differences between the old Malenkov regime and the new Khruschev-Dulganin government are ones concerning domestic economy and not foreign policy, Shulman said. "Even these differences, moreover, have been completely overplayed by the American press," he added.

From the change in government, the West can probably expect an increase in Russian heavy industry, and a corresponding drive by the Communist Party to exert more pressure on the Russian peasantry, Shulman stated. He did not think that this necessarily indicated any immediate change in Russian foreign policy.

Yesterday's attack on the United States by Soviet Foreign Minister Molotov, in which the U.S. was accused of threatening Communist China with war, and in which Molotov hinted the Soviet Union may have surpassed the U.S. in atomic weapons development, was not taken too alarmingly by Shulman.

Scare Headlines "Unjustified"

"On the basis of quotations from Molotov's speech, it does not appear to me that black scare headlines are justified," he said. "Apart from a repetition of the charges against the U.S. already presented by the Soviet Union in substance with its draft resolution for the Security Council of the U.N., there is a reference to atomic weapons which is more boastful than threatening."

Although the Soviet Union will probably increase its armament production as part of Khrushchev's heavy industry program, Shulman said this may paradoxically be due to the recent rearmament of Western Germany: "The paradox of out situation is that the fruition of our plans and policies in building our strength and cohesion may at the same time increase our immediate danger."

He emphasized that all present analyses of the Russian situation are purely speculative, and should not be interpreted rashly. "It is important for us not to develop an atmosphere of alarm in interpreting events whose meanings are far from clear at the moment.